Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Bowl of Sun

This is the time of year in Florida that makes me love where I live. The mornings are cool and crisp and the afternoons are a just warm enough so you can sit outside in the shade with some friends and enjoy a cup of coffee without feeling like you're wilting. And since today happened to be the morning of my 8 a.m. class, I was able to do just that. There is nothing more spiritually uplifting than taking a few hours out of the day to sip Starbucks and reflect on what is going right in the lives of dear friends. If I have taken anything away from my years in therapy, it is that healing is synonymous with giving yourself permission to stop moving and exist peacefully for a while. So the next time you have an opportunity to take a moment out of your schedule to simply be present and in touch with your spiritual health, I encourage you to take it. They are rare, but the ripple affects in your everyday life are both profound and lasting.


The rest of my day was pretty typical, but when I got home, I was still so inspired by the day that I decided to treat myself to some sun-inspired pasta using ingredients I had in my fridge and pantry like sundried tomatoes, sunflower oil, and sunflower seeds. The result was something both satisfying and fresh, a perfect tribute to this amazing day.


Sun-Inspired Pasta with Roasted Vegetables

1 cup of bowtie pasta
1 small zucchini
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
2 T sunflower seeds
1 tsp flax seeds
1 T sunflower oil
Fresh thyme and rosemary
salt and pepper to taste


Set a pot of water to boil and preheat oven to 400. Meanwhile, chop up all the vegetables into bite sized pieces. Place on a baking sheet and toss with oil, herbs, salt, and pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Add pasta to salted water. Cook according to instructions (10-14 minutes). Drain and place in a bowl along with the seeds. Top with vegetables and your seasoning of choice.


Yield: 1 bowl of pasta











No comments:

Post a Comment